RE: 70 spit fast idle

To: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: 70 spit fast idle
From: "David Stewart" <dstewar1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 05:27:04 -0400
Sounds like a carb problem to me.  I've never done anything with Strombergs,
so
I can't really help you, but timing being out causes engines to run less
smoothly, not faster.

--seems like when I adjust my timing, my idle speed can be affected.  but it
doesn't sound like you are that far out of time to cause such a big change
in idle speed

As for the run-on, this definitely isn't the timing, because the timing only
affects the ignition circuit, and the ignition circuit is turned off when
you
shut the engine down (hence why it is called the "ignition key").  Run-on is
caused by the heat of the engine causing the petrol to explode (there are
some
good web-sites out there that describe this in detail - can't remember any
of
the top of my head).  If you're having problems with your carb, this could
explain the run-on.

--but can't run-on also be caused by timing too far retarded?  in fact, when
the US models started being detuned to meet emissions regulations, wasn't
there an anti-runon valve added to prevent the occurrence of run-on?

my 1-1/2 cents worth

David