First Commute

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: First Commute
From: Dirk Frazier <dfrazier@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 21:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
Today was my first REAL drive in my '78 1500 and, I'm
happy to report, I logged over 60 round trip miles.
Los Gatos to Belmont along Highway 280 in the Bay Area
is one of the more scenic commutes, if nothing else.
I averaged over 60 MPH (I now realize that I NEED an
OD tranny) and not one mishap.  I do think that I
should paint my little guy some obscenely bright, neon
color just so the other drivers SEE me...  At 65 MPH,
I'm ticking along at about 3,800 RPM.  With what I
think are headers, an unknown muffler setup, and the
top up, the sound was something just less than
deafening.  Good think I haven't hooked up my stereo
yet.  BTW - it would figure that throughout an entire
summer in Michigan - with the top completely removed
from the car - I never encountered rain, but my first
driving day in "sunny" California, guess what -
THUNDERSTORMS no less!

Happy commuting...

daf
===