Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] Emissions testing - no air pump

To: spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] Emissions testing - no air pump
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:13:16 -0400
At 05:33 PM 09/08/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> Can I get my Spit to pass emissions testing
>without the air pump?
>It was remove by the PO and now, I have about 30 days to get tested.
>Most of the other components are there except for the unit under the
>canister (1977 Fed). I know the carb is running rich also.

Since you know your engine is running rich, and you don't have that air
pump to dilute all the contaminants & promote combustion in the catalytict
converter, you might be destined to fail.

Are the plugs sooty after idling a minute or two?  No good.

>What do I need to do first after I fail my test (I'm pretty sure it's
>gonna fail)?

Adjust the idle mixture so your plugs are a light gray/brown.  (ZS carb,
turn the allen wrench tool CCW to lean.  Keep track of how many turns so
you can put it back if you want.   And, install a fresh air cleaner filter
before the test!)

I had a Ford Cortina that passed the idle test OK even after the air pump
was removed.

Good luck,,

Atwell Haines
"Mr Spit" '79 Spitfire