Re: Spit Won't Start!

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Spit Won't Start!
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 11:43:33 -0400
Atwell Haines wrote:

> Hello Spit-kateers,
>
> Jumped into Mr. Spit this morning, and all I got was a single click from
> the starter solenoid when I turned the key.  Got out the good old trusty
> multi-meter, and determined the solenoid voltage was OK, but the starter
> was lacking juice.
>
> I cleaned all the terminals between the battery and starter (the starter
> terminal was one flat too loose).  Success!  Reprogrammed the radio
> stations (I have one of those new-fangled electronically-tuned jobbies) and
> off I went.
>
> Boy, this happened suddenly.   The single click happened to me once last
> week, after a hot start.  Worked on the second try, though.  And today,
> nothing!
>
> Of course my first impulse was to pound on the solenoid and starter.  (Must
> be a guy thing...)  That didn't work.
>
> Guess tightening the connectors should be a maintenence item on these cars,
> eh?
>
> Ah, the joys of motoring!
>
> Enjoying the holiday,
>
> Atwell Haines
> "Mr. Spit" '79 Spitfire
> Succasunna, NJ USA

Atwell,
Had the same problem on my '76 Spit for a LOOOOOOONG time. Would end up
tightening up connections, cleaning battery posts, etc. Sometimes it was just a
matter of rocking the car, believe it or not. In the end, however, it happened
and NOTHING would work. Turned out to be the solenoid. Replaced it and have had
absolutely no trouble turning that puppy over at all since then. So, I sez, get
a solenoid on order, cuz yours is going south.....

Cheers,

--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Florida
Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
ICQ# 3752712
***************************
Blackbird Association
Member #1263
***************************
Charter Member
TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/
Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
432 AMS/Autopilot
***************************
Member Udorn VFW Post 10249
Sawadee Home Page http://www.khonkaen.com/vfw/index.htm
***************************
Life Member Air Force Association
http://www.afa.org
Life Member Air Force Sergeant Association
http://www.afsahq.org/
SpitList
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
FM43376UO - Daily Driver