Re: Spit Won't Start!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit Won't Start!
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 21:43:01 -0400
At 08:52 PM 9/4/99 -0400, Atwell Haines wrote:

>Jumped into Mr. Spit this morning, and all I got was a single click from
>the starter solenoid when I turned the key.  Got out the good old trusty
>multi-meter, and determined the solenoid voltage was OK, but the starter
>was lacking juice.

Atwell,

  This is a very common problem.  It sounds like your solenoid has gone
south.  What happens is that one of the contacts burns and when the
solenoid tries to enguage, the contact make contact across both contacts.

Stud for main pwr feed                  Stud for main to starter

  |    ----|  |       Input & Output           |  |----
  ---  ----|  |  <------ contacts  -------->   |  |----
           |  |                                |  |
           |  |                                |  |
           |  |    -----------------------     |  |
           |  |    |       plunger       |     |  |
           |  |    -----------------------     |  |
           |  ---------|    |  |               |  |
           |           |    |  |               |  |
           |           |    |  |     |---------|  |
           |-----------|    |  |     |------------|
                            |  |
                                        Burned contact

But on this drawing you can see that the contact on the right is a lot
thinner than the contact on the left.  When you try and start the car,
the solenoid pulls the plunger down to transfer power from the feed
contact to the starter contact.  However when the plunger hits the taller
contact on the left, it stop moving down.  Consiquently, the plunger can't
make contact to the output contact.  That is why you hear the click but
don't get any power.

You might want to check out my article on starters & solenoids on my Morgan
web page (listed below)

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org