Plastic Mirror mount

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Plastic Mirror mount
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:53:55 -0600
The "stupid" plastic mirror mount is one of those safety features - you
know, so you don't cut your head on a fixed immovable object like a
mirror when you are in a full frontal head on crash at 60 mph!

        How to fix it?  I made a set of small alluminum brackets, bent
into the shape of a very shallow "U", just wide enough to pinch the ends
of that mount  and just deep enough to catch the mount.  I put one under
each end of the mirror mount and when the screws are snugged up tight,
it pinches the ends of the plastic together holding the mirror part
firmly.  It'll still give way if I need the safety feature!

        Yep, I'm back.  Spend 5 glorious weeks in the UK, touring the
northern islands to Iceland, Copenhagen, and Brussels.  I said before
leaving I'd check out Spitfires....  Well I can tell you that there are
3 Spitfires in England & Wales!  Or maybe it was the same blue one twice
and a yellow one.
        Can't figure it out, what with the 20plus degree 2 weeks we
drove all over Wales and part of England, only the 3 spits, all MK IVs.
 Nearly got swamped in MGBs, Morgans and a few other exotics, but no
Spits.
        Visited car museums till my wife was sick of them!  A motorcycle
museum in Holyhead, the big city museum in Coventry, and of course the
Gaydon BMIHT museum.  Loved them all!  Got to meet John MacCartney, too.

Cheers, for now, Fred

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths
Calgary, Canada