The Amazing Spitfires List

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: The Amazing Spitfires List
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 21:51:24 -0500
Spitphiles ,

This list is truly amazing; it reads my mind and anticipates my qustions. I just
pulled a rear axle to replace a U-Joint, and was surprised at the narrow
clearance between the heads of the yoke bolts and the bolts that hold the stub
axles in the differential, when, amazingly, the topic comes up on the list via
Laura G. Œs highway meltdown.

 I can see where a loose bolt here would be an absolute disaster, and  I was
dismayed to find that a DPO put a non-Nyloc nut on one of the bolts in question.
The U-joint I replaced also had a protruding zerk fitting in a position that
caused a grinding noise when making a hard right turn; I think it was pinching
between the two sections of the U-joint.

The only bad thing is, thanks to the list I know (and worry) about other things
that can break like thrust washers, etc., etc....

Bob Waid
71 Spitfire