Re: was BCDW2000 - future of hobby

To: "Tom Ambrose" <tambrose@tir.com>, "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>,
Subject: Re: was BCDW2000 - future of hobby
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:12:16 -0700
> I need to have another insured car (the
> catch) as my principle driver ( I do, an '89 Civic, worth 'bout $1500). I
> also need to keep it in a locked garage at night plus had to sent in a
> picture of the car.  The cost? a reasonable $74 per year. And that is
> reasonable, because we do take care of our cars and most of us are very
good
> drivers.

Yes, that is the catch. I only have one car (the spit) and no garage. I also
happen to have an outstanding driving record-and moved to a "better" zip
code. Reduced my insurance $80 when I moved-3 miles away-this was a real
crock as now I actually live in a neighbourhood that's not nearly as nice as
where I was-but because  I lived in county-we got our mail through a P.O.
with an undesirable zip code!

Anyway, my spit is insured for appraised value-$7500 (but, I'm going to have
that re-appraised) and drive 8000 miles a year.

Because I only have one car and can't afford a place with a garage, I can't
get classics or cheaper insurance. Actually, when I first came back to the
States, even though I'd driven for 20 years without a blemish on my record,
I couldn't get insurance with some companies (AAA, for example) because they
wouldn't count my overseas driving record. ANd whan I did get the minimum
insurance, it cost me $1400 for the first year! So, after being here for 7
years and keeping clean and all-I really feel lucky to be paying $800 per
year! I wish it could be less-but...I figure in another 4 years, it'll be
affordable.

Of course, California has among the highest rates and the insurance
commissioner is a joke! We voted how many years ago for no-fault insurance
but never got it-so much for the will of the people -the people who aren't
insurance companies. And then there were all the people they found to have
been over charged-only something like 10% of those people ever got their
refund. And that was almost 10 years ago! (Quackenbush is a Quack!)

The way they (the Italian government) regulate insurance in Italy is by the
car and size of the engine. Insurance is highly affordable
(and mandatory) and the service is great!

We really need insurance reform here.

Whoa-off the horse and ready for the flames,
(See what being sick in bed for two days with the flu does to me?;-) )

Laura G. and Nigel