Re: was BCDW2000 - future of hobby

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>,
Subject: Re: was BCDW2000 - future of hobby
From: "Tom Ambrose" <tambrose@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 20:28:12 -0400
John wrote:

" If anyone has had luck with getting their older car insured for a
realistic
value, let us know how you did it.  Let us know what insurance companies."

At the risk of sounding native, I'll outline a possible strategy for having
the regular use of a LBC for a reasonable amount of insurance. Of course,
there is a catch. There always is one. When I called a classic insurance
company for rates, this is what I said, " I want insurance for my '71 Spit
for a replacement value of $5000 and I plan on driving it about 5,000 miles
per driving season."

They agreed to insure my Spit for an agreed value of $4200 and I get first
salvage rights in case of a total. I need to have another insured car (the
catch) as my principle driver ( I do, an '89 Civic, worth 'bout $1500). I
also need to keep it in a locked garage at night plus had to sent in a
picture of the car.  The cost? a reasonable $74 per year. And that is
reasonable, because we do take care of our cars and most of us are very good
drivers.

Hope I didn't waste your time,

Tom
Michigan