Re: British Car Drivers Week 2000

To: <Trmgafun@aol.com>, <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: British Car Drivers Week 2000
From: "Andrew R. Lindberg" <andylindberg@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 02:33:03 -0500
Scott et al. --

It's 1:30 a.m. and my 1970 Triumph GT6 is finally back in the garage.  I
just did 40-50 miles on Minneapolis/St. Paul's finest freeways, but that's
not why I'm writing.  Nor am I writing to tell you how great it is that
three people (who have much better things to do) spent five hours tonight
doing most of the work patching up said GT6's suspension.  I'm also not
penning this message to tell you that I'll do my best to publicize BCDWY2K,
although I'll certainly do that.

No, what I want to talk about is the slightly depressing tone in your
e-mail.  You mention a few cases of lost interest in classic sports cars and
then ask the question, "Are these occurrences early signs of the fate of our
hobby, or just some rare cases?  I don't know."

I don't know the answer to your question but I do believe that we are at a
critical juncture for the movement.  Do we become a fad like Beanie Babies,
or is there something more here?  Personally I believe there is something
more.  Many of the cars we love appeal not only to aging boomers, but to a
much wider audience.  But those teen-agers have to see them and they have to
know that they're good for something more than trailering to a show.

My son-in-law wants a TR6 or a Land Rover.  There's a bucket of young folks
like him out there that would snap at the chance to use one of our cars as a
daily driver, or restoration project, but they've gotta see the cars first.

Good luck Scott.

Andy L.  (1970 GT6 and 1964 Volvo 122 out on the road yesterday, today, and
tomorrow)