Re: 1500 dual SU and Knocking noise

Subject: Re: 1500 dual SU and Knocking noise
From: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:38:07 -0700
Could be either. The sound is different, at least to my ear, but if you haven't
heard both that doen't help. However, both have a fairly solid sound, as you
might
imagine, coming from the high speed collision of massive pieces of metal.   I've
changed bearings many times without removing the engine, on Triumphs (not
Spitfires) and on other makes.  Just get the car high enough so you're not
cramped.  I've always changed both mains and rods any time I was at it.  Not
having done a Spitfire, I can't comment on any specific issues there.  One
thing I
always do before pulling anything apart is have someone else listen to the
noise.
Preferrably someone with more experience..  I get paranoid about engine noises
and
have been known to spend much time and energy looking for and unfortunately,
sometimes fixing, non-problems.
-Gary