Getting old cars running (was Re: My 75 Spitfire is now running

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Getting old cars running (was Re: My 75 Spitfire is now running
From: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:16:49 +0100

I'll second that - well done John!

On the subject of getting old cars running, I guess sometimes you get lucky.
Two years
ago my sister passed her driving test and was looking for a cheap car, and my
dad
happened to mention this to a neigbour.  The neigbour had a 1985 Ford Fiesta
sitting in
the driveway - they'd driven it to the house when they moved in about 6 years
before,
and hadn't even started it since.  They said if we could get it running, it was
ours
for £50.

I went with my dad to look at it.  The battery was good, and the starter turned
straight away, but it didn't fire.  After a bit of poking around with a meter,
we found
one of the LT leads to the coil was loose.  Fixed that, turned the key again,
and it
started up.  The brakes needed some attention, and since then the most serious
thing
which has gone wrong was a broken pin on the gear selector, until it got stolen
and
trashed a couple of months ago.  (Don't ask me why anyone would steal a car like
 that,
but they did...)

Like I said, sometimes you get lucky.  John, I hope your car continues to give
you this
little trouble, but if that's the case, please spare a thought for the rest of
us!

Dean