Re: Questions...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, davidt@opentext.com
Subject: Re: Questions...
From: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:45:17 +0100

David,

Hope you're having fun with your Spitfire (what am I talking about, of course
you are!)  You'll learn things as you go along - I've had mine for about 6
months, and I've learnt loads already - a far bit of which has been from this
list!

Ok, here's some answers:

1) You can use any brake fluid, DOT3 or any other DOT is fine.  A lot of people
prefer silicone brake fluid, but I haven't tried it so I can't comment

2) This can be adjusted, but greasing it usually does the trick, and is a lot
easier

3) This could be lots of things.  Does it happen on only some gearchanges, or on
all?  Does it stop if you wait a second or two before engaging the new gear?
I've never heard of any way to adjust this, so at best it's something you'll get
used to, at worst it'll need a new gearbox (reconditioned ones can be picked up
fairly cheap...)  It's probably repairable if you know what you're doing - you
know how confident you are, but I know I'm not confident enough (or competent
enough) to be messing around with the inside of gearboxes.

4) You'll have to find someone who knows a bit more than me to help out on this
one!

My one piece of advice would be not to do the restoration just yet - when you've
just bought a car, you want to drive it for a bit before you take it off the
road for such a big project!  (It sounds from what you've said like the car is
currently road-worthy...)

Happy Triumphing

Dean Dashwood ('77 Spit 1500 - the most fun car I've ever owned!)