RE: gas tank

To: "'Fred Thomas'" <vafred@erols.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: gas tank
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:22:19 -0500
First make REAL sure all the gas is gone and allowed to sit for a bit.
You don't want to become another Sputnik!

The removal of the tank is real easy.
There are four bolts that hold it in, the biggest problem is getting the
rubber sleeve off the gas fill. On my 71 the evaporator hose runs along the
top and fits into a small canister. All this needs to be removed from the
top of the tank. Once you have it loose it takes a little wiggle and it
should come right out the boot.

I have heard of some stuff that the Harley people sell that you can pour
down the tank and plug holes. I don't know the brand name but it's sold in
quarts for about $20.00 US, now that's $20.00 at a Harley shop, you might
get the same stuff at a Home Depot or the like for $10.00...