Re: Non-LBC question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Non-LBC question
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:47:41 -0700
At 09:44 AM 8/27/1999 +0100, you wrote:

>Sorry to send off-topic messages, but I'm sure that at least one of the
>brilliant brains on this list will be able to help me out with this
question.  A
>friend of mine has a 3-year-old Renault Clio, which gets through a set of
brake
>pads on one wheel only in around 3000 miles.  The pads on the other side
show a
>normal amount of wear.  My first thought was to replace the brake disc,
but he
>tells me it's already been replaced.  Does anyone have any idea what else
could
>cause these symptoms?
>
>TIA
>
>Dean

        I'm sure just by reading the headers of messages following this one that
folks will have the same diagnosis.  If not, my answer to the above
question is.....

        Caliper replacement.   This is pretty common for a caliper piston
sticking
in the sleeve of the caliper when you release the brakes.  They will pull
back, but slowly and the amount of drag it puts on the rotor will wear away
the pad much faster.

        I have this problem ongoing with my 90 Chev Lumina on a rear disc brake
caliper.  While I could fix it, the caliper has no repair kit available
that one can do without special tools and the replacement caliper runs $250
each.  I chose to replace the pads every 10,000 - 15,000 miles instead
since I've got guaranteed lifetime replacement warranty brake pads and it
only takes 20 minutes to swap out.

-Vegaman Dan
-66/69 Spitui!
 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |       ConiFur NorthWest '99- Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |  Flinters@picarefy.com * www.picarefy.com/~flinthoof   |