Re: spit map lite

To: "Winnie Olmer" <who@sover.net>,
Subject: Re: spit map lite
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:39:46 -0400
Hi Winnie,

At 08:36 PM 08/21/1999 -0400, Winnie Olmer wrote:

> The map lite is
>on non stop as long as the headlights are turned on. Is this normal?

Yes. The light (not 'lite', thats watered down Beer isn't it?) is grounded
through the ball-and-detent joint in its base. On US cars (LH drive) the
light is turned off by 'folding' it pointing towards the driver, parallel
to the ground.

On my '79, the ball & detent would not hold the assembly up enough to keep
the light off.  I took the easy way out and used a circle of Velcro [tm] to
hold it against the bottom of the dash.

>If I turn the knob for the
>instrument lite dimmer it does not seem to have a détente that I can feel
>which might suggest that it is supposed to control the map lite.

As far as I know the instrument dimmer does not dim the map light.

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

PS, I was vacationing in Vermont last week & attended the Antique Car Show
in Stowe Vt. on August 14th.  No Spits but a couple of TR3s and TR6s.