Re: Clutch Disassembly Reveals All

To: BWN <bwnbcg@cruzio.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Disassembly Reveals All
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:33:04 -0400
BWN wrote:

> The clutch on the 79 Spit finally gave up the ghost this week.  After
> about 30000 miles.
>
> The problem was not slippage at all.  It was a disengagement and noise
> problem
>
> Turned out that some of the fingers on the pressure plate had worn
> completely off where the bearing seats against it.
>
> Anybody hear of this happening?  It was a Borg and Beck.  Usually a good
> brand.  The last one in the car was a QH and the finger just bent in
> making the clutch ineffective.  Not so this time.
>
> Also, to my surprise, the clutch plate itself had several broken tabs
> between the hub plates and  friction ring.  Also, one side of the hub
> plate assy was cracked in many places.  Strange.
>
> Hardly any wear appeared on the friction material and flywheel.
>
> Another strange problem is the transmission front cover/bearing oil seal
> carrier (the piece the bearing slides on) was broken off at the front of
> the transmission.  This left a loose sleeve riding on the transmission
> shaft inside the release bearing.
>
> Anybody have war stories on these peculiar problems?
>
> Brian
>
> 79 Spit
> 65 Spit 1500 OD

Had the same problem on my QH plate, because, I suspect, more but
lighter/thinner fingers. About a quarter of them had been worn down AND bent
in as if they lost their springiness. The B&W had less (read wider) and I
would suppose stronger fingers. It's got about 30000 on it and as far as I
can tell going strong.

Cheers,

--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Florida
Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
ICQ# 3752712
***************************
Blackbird Association
Member #1263
***************************
Charter Member
TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/
Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
432 AMS/Autopilot
***************************
Member Udorn VFW Post 10249
Sawadee Home Page http://www.khonkaen.com/vfw/index.htm
***************************
Life Member Air Force Association
http://www.afa.org
Life Member Air Force Sergeant Association
http://www.afsahq.org/
SpitList
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
FM43376UO - Daily Driver