Re: Brake drum Screws

To: "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Brake drum Screws
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:42:38 -0500
Hey Patrick,

> I am in the middle of rebuilding my rear suspension and have two questions.
> What is the easiest way to get rid of the grease that is all over the axels
> and trunnion.  Unfortuneately you cannot sandblast through grease.

Hah - so am I. I should be in the garage now. My new axle assy is
waiting for a cleanup and transplant.

In my cleanup, I sprayed the assy lightly with carb cleaner and brushed,
scraped and otherwise picked the globs of grease off with a putty knife.
I then wiped off what I could get to with a towel. Then sprayed again
with carb cleaner the areas I couldn't.

If I had compressed air and a nozzle with a hose inlet feed, I would use
it with some kind of carb cleaner type of solvent. It evaporates
quickly. When I was a kid, I worked at a place called Insta-Tune and we
used these nozzles to "power clean" the outside of the carbs or any area
we needed to look beyond the globs of grease.

> The other question is.  The two screws that hold on the brake drums, how
> necessary are they.  I have done brakes hundreds of times on other cars that
> did not have these and were held on by the wheels and rust (or whatever).
> While removing the ones on my car now all 4 were permanently rusted to the
> hub.  I drilled and extracted one, the other three won't extract and I
> really don't want to rethread items.  Is there a convincing argument to
> bother fixing this?

Mine are non-existent. I've heard others talk about their lack of them
as well. I think it's common and I don't think twice about not having
them. I wouldn't bother.

Vic