Re: Dash (Crash) pad

To: KenCunningham@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Dash (Crash) pad
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:57:44 -0400
> From: "Ken C" <KenCunningham@worldnet.att.net>
> Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:47:39 -0700
>

> Spitmaniacs,
>
> Ah, the adventure continues...
>
> While waiting to find out about how stupid I am regarding the differential,
> (replaced the pinion seal and maybe screwed up the diff preload), I decided
> to tackle something easier, yea, right...

Well I'm no help with the dash/crash pad (probably next spring) but I
don't think you can screw up the diff preload changing the seal --

According to the Good Book (Bentley's reprint of The Factory Manual*),
Chapter 3, p 3-111, "Pinion Oil Seal"

  To Replace (Fig 25)

  Drain the hypoid unit, remove the exhaust tail pipe and disconnect
  the rear end of the propeller shaft.  Withdraw the split pin (55),
  unscrew the nut (56) and remove the driving flange (57).

  Lever out the old seal (58) and drive a new one into position.

  Refit the driving flange (57), washer, nut (56) and split pin (55).
  Reconnect the propeller shaft and refit the exhaust pipe.

  Refill the hypoid housing unit with oil

Methinks you're safe.

  [snip]

*  RTFM, right?