Dash (Crash) pad

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dash (Crash) pad
From: "Ken C" <KenCunningham@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:47:39 -0700
Spitmaniacs,

Ah, the adventure continues...

While waiting to find out about how stupid I am regarding the differential,
(replaced the pinion seal and maybe screwed up the diff preload), I decided
to tackle something easier, yea, right...

Looking at the dash pad, rust has eaten both right and left corners
completely away, the hardened foam is the only thing holding it together. So
the question is, do replacements exist ? If not, ideas on the best way to
repair.

Assuming replacements are not available, I'm gonna remove all the old foam
and vinyl, not much left anyhow, cut out all the rust, and ask my expert
TIG/MIG welder golf buddy to have at it. Once a complete metal backboard
exists, head over the interior shop (can't spell upolstery) and have it
recovered.

Does this sound reasonable ? Has anyone recovered (foam & vinyl) a pad ? Is
this something I can do or best left to a shop ? As long as there ain't no
pinion nut, I might try...<VBG>

Ken C