RE: More Carb/Emissions Questions

To: Mike Perry <mikep@michindust.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: More Carb/Emissions Questions
From: "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:31:04 -0400
Mike the valve cover outlet is not to provide extra air to your carb it is
there for several reasons.  first it Keeps your crankcase from becoming
pressurized and blowing headgaskets (among other things) BMW's are actually
made this way.  Second, the hose goes to both the carbon canister and the
carb, reason being to burn off excess oil fumes that would escape into the
atmosphere by putting them back into the combustion chamber, and the carbon
canister to absorb excess fumes to keep from overwhelming the carb.  I am
sure there is a little more to the emissions equation, but this is a quick
example.

Patrick Bowen