Convertible Tops

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Convertible Tops
From: Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 16:10:30 -0500
Hi all!

I had an AMCO top (ordered new and self-installed) for my first Spit in
the 80's.  It came with all of the hardware installed and was an easy
job to complete.  It lasted until the car was wrecked and subsequently
sold, and was in excellent shape (2 1/2 years later) when I watched it
leave with the new owners.

I ordered a Robbins top in the early 90's and it was excellent quality,
more expensive, and none of the hardware was installed.  I liked the
quality but not the fact I had to measure and fit it.  For less money I
could get the AMCO and not have to do any of that stuff.

Bottom line in my mind:
AMCO top for less-mechanically-inclined or those who just don't want to
bother.  It's a good quality top, and if taken care of properly, will
last a long time.

Robbins Top for the do-it-yourselfer or those who can afford to have it
professionally done.  It is excellent quality and will be a good
investment.

And, remember with top installation, DON'T install it at either
temperature extreme.  If too cold, the top will sag when hot, and if too
hot, you'll NEVER be able to fasten it when cold.  I have found it best
to let the car and top sit in the sun for a little while on a moderate
day (80-85 degrees) and stretch it reasonably but not to the extent your
eyes bulge, you turn green, and muscles rip through your shirt.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   :)