GT6/spitfire reflectors

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6/spitfire reflectors
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:03:33 -0700
 listers,

My 69 GT6+ may be one of the few non-bastardized cars from which to take an
accurate equipment survey.  I am the third owner;  The second owner did
nothing except re-arrange the boxes of parts and weld on some rockers.

KC 53xxxL was first registered as a 71 by the original owner.  It is, by
comm#, a fairly early 69, built on Jan 2 ( I guess nobody worked on new
year's day, hmmmm) and dispatched to Vancouver, Canada.

When I sorted the boxes, I had TWO of those damn centre plinths, and  FOUR
of the round reflectors that go where the reversing lamps did!  Here's the
interesting bit...  the wiring harness had everything in place for the twin
reverse lamps outboard of centre.

Was this the original harness, you ask?  I beleive so and here's why.  The
car was fitted for racing in 1974.  The indicator and light stalks were
chopped at the escutcheon for clearance problems, as was the main harness
just fore of the alternator connections.  Thus, there was no lighting
equipment on the nose of the car nor a way to use it.  When I removed the
harness, it was burned through in three places between the rear connector
molex plug and the rear lights.  The car had been hit in competiton on
several occasions, it seems, which explains the pinched wiring and
subsequent burns.  There were no other lights with the car.  There was no
other wiring with the car either.  I repaired the harness with that of a 69
spitfire (correctly except for using "normal electric tape" - which has
given no problem so far) and re-fitted the twin reverse lamps.

I believe the center plinth was also a 1970 only fittment as the 71 used the
modern body shape (my first clue my car was not a 71, as titled).

So,  those reflectors everyone has talked about may be rare because they
were fitted only for one year, not because of rot or otherwise.  Frankly I
think they look awful as well and that centre piece weighs a ton to boot.
Give me the beehives anyday - even if I don;t have my reverse switch hooked
up!!

Dave T
Winnipeg