Re: Tire mounting

To: "Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou" <dougbert@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: Tire mounting
From: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:20:57 -0700
Its incredibly hard to get the bead over the rim without a machine.  I have
a hard time getting mounting on my Mini's 10 inch wheels as many machines
can't go that small.  A trick by one of the Mini club members is to cut off
the bad tire watching that you don't nick the rim.  Cutting the bead is the
hard part.  Then you place the rim flat on the ground and put the tire on
top.  Use of liquid soap as a lubricant.  Then step on the tire with both
feet to get it to drop over the rim.  You'll probably have to jump up and
down on it.  The second bead is tougher since the shape of the tire bead is
reversed.  Once on just inflate.  I don't know how this will work or not
with tubes though.
Still, I'd recommend calling a restoration shop and see who they use.
Peter S