Re: Spitfire performance

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Spitfire performance
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:57:39 -0400 ()
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> ...I think I have a reasonably cool bottle of Sierra Nevada stout
> close by, the homebrew is all at Pugs' place, drat.

Well, I had a Samuel Adams Cream Stout; seems to have done the trick.

> Which do you think is more fun to drive:
>
> A.  A concours quality Shelby 427 Cobra that you keep under the posted limit
>     at all times so that all the cops watching you don't throw your, uh, ears
>     in jail.
>
> B.  A clapped out Herald 1200 that you can drive at 10/10ths all over
>     town and no one even notices, let alone cares.

OK, I vote "B", but perhaps I should disqualify myself from this contest?
:-)

> A number of you folks have heard about my Killer Spitfire, some of you have
> seen it, there may even be a handful of folks who have ridden in the car, or
> driven it...

Ummm, Killer fun. Killer quick. Killer gooooood. Killer not ugly. Killer
purposeful.

And Killer was a most enjoyable ride and then drive at the VTR Autocross
in Hudson. (THANKS, Mark!) There's little doubt in my mind that Killer is
much quicker than, say, the Hardly Boys RaceSpit 4. But then, the HBRS4
runs what was pretty much the limit of allowable SCCA G Production mods,
circa 1968, to the 1147cc engine. Nothing too fancy, just milling,
decking, porting, polishing, some sort of cam, some nifty reshaping of the
SU's pistons and intakes and, currently, a "stock" Mk.2 Spitfire factory
header. And it all works very nicely as well -- when it's working. Might
be fun to see what this (in present-day terms rather mildly-tuned) engine
would do in a Herald on the street....

--Andy