Re: whats that on my prop shaft! HELP

To: "KEVIN EDDINS" <EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: whats that on my prop shaft! HELP
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 00:20:42 +0100
>I took on the task to change my prop shaft u-joints and I found something
>strange on the transmission end.  I have never seen a CV-joint, but I think
>that is what it is.  I can't tell if it is welded or fitted somewhere under
the
>boot and I'm scared that I might screw it up if I remove the boot.

Tin can looking thing.  If you curl your fingure round the end you can feel
rubber bit inside?

>My guess is the PO had this conversion done well before I got it.

No he didn't it's from a late car.

>The joint has a little slack in it and I thing it is where I'm getting my
noise.
Maby not it's not the type of thing to go wrong, my ones fine. (He says
touching
wood repeatedly) and my car has 87 thou on the clock second time around.
>Question:  Can I change this thing without screwing it up?  Has anyone
>heard of this before?  Any other info is a great help.
Don't chainge it yet it's probebly fine.

My theory is these are not CV joints in the converntionall ball bearing
sence.
They are infact a rubber coupleing (I think) and are seald.  Your prop shaft
had
the original one when it was born and it will still have the original one
when
it dies.

Here is how late Spitfires got this.
The buffs at Triumph were in there local celiberating the end of the drought
in
1977.  They were getting a new apperntice drunk at the time, now this young
aprentice would normal never dare to chalange the wisdome of the Spitfires
designers but being three sheets to the wind he dosent cair.  So said young
asks the question.  Your supposed to have UJ's in pairs arn't you?
Yes they reply
ap Whell then how come you have three connecting each engin to the wheels.
That's the only way we can do in they say.
ap But can't you use a CV joint on one part and the rest UJ's.
It couldent take the strain of the swing spring suspension.
ap Then what about a rubber coupleing .
Nope.
ap Why don't you put it on the prop shaft.
A CV's to bulky
ap and a rubber conection?
Drink up it's your round.

And so the spitfires propshaft mutated.

Of course this hase one floor the differential can put the UJ's out of
phase!