whats that on my prop shaft! HELP

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: whats that on my prop shaft! HELP
From: KEVIN EDDINS <EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 17:07:38 -0500
I took on the task to change my prop shaft u-joints and I found something
strange on the transmission end.  I have never seen a CV-joint, but I think
that is what it is.  I can't tell if it is welded or fitted somewhere under the
boot and I'm scared that I might screw it up if I remove the boot.

My guess is the PO had this conversion done well before I got it.

The joint has a little slack in it and I thing it is where I'm getting my noise.

Question:  Can I change this thing without screwing it up?  Has anyone
heard of this before?  Any other info is a great help.

I'll follow this letter up with my u-joint experience.

Kevin