Alternator Conversion

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Alternator Conversion
From: Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:06:43 -0400
Hello all.  Foolishly drove my car to work (30 miles) after replacing the
voltage reg. because I was OVER charging.  Well, 20 miles in, my dash
lights seemed to be getting dim.  I turned off everything and stopped at a
gas station.  They measured the voltage at 10 VOLTS!!!!

I am screwed.

Maybe I can make it home on the battery.  Maybe not.  So, who knows what's
wrong with my installation of the voltage regulator but...I am not
charging.

Therefore, maybe it's time to just do the GM alternator conversion.  I have
looked at the VTR pages a little on this subject, but there is not a
Spitfire page.  There is a GT6 page - can this be the same for the Spit?

Anyone ever done this?  PLEASE WRITE BACK SOON if you have any ideas!!!

John Cousins
1977 Spit low on juice