Re: Header installation

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Header installation
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 22:12:17 -0700
Atwell Haines wrote:

> Haven't done it myself, but I understand that "dimpling" the frame for
> clearance is sometimes necessary.

Yep, where the frame rails bend inward, behind the bellhousing.
Shortening the collector pipe also helps alleviate the clearance
problem here.

> US-spec Cat equipped Spits had a clearance notch in the frame for the
> header.  Does this have to be enlarged?   Anyone?

This clearance notch doesn't really help with the header at all, so
enlarging it doesn't buy anything.  FWIW UK home market cars and pre-
cat-con US spec cars (after 1974) are also "notched".

--
Bob Sykes

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."
--Albert Einstein