Re: Shakin' Spitfire

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Shakin' Spitfire
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:40:54 -0400
Thanks Barry, Andy, and Brad.

I think it is the rear because I don't feel the pulsation in the steering
wheel, but I DO feel it when I pull up on the handbrake.   When just
cruisin',  brakes not applied, the car is as smooth as silk (well for a
Spit anyway!).

I have checked for bent wheels by jacking the rear of the car and spinning
them by hand.   They seem true visually. (Haven't done it with the car
running Barry..)

If I had a bent wheel, drum, or hub flange, wouldn't the shakin' alway be
there, braking or not?

One thing I maybe should have mentioned: the DPO had run one side without
the two countersunk brake drum screws.   The hub center on that side is
galled a bit as a result.

Here is a point-blank question:   Has anyone ever had brake drums turned
improperly...off-center?

At 10:36 AM 6/11/98 -0400, Atwell Haines wrote:
>I get a pulsation when the rear brakes are applied.   I have replaced the
>shoes and turned down the drums.   I can still "feel" the high spots in the
>brakes when adjusting them.
>
>I have spun the drums on the car but can't see any wobble per se.  (Yeah I
>know that a dial indicator is more accurate, but I don't have one.)
>
>I have tried changing the relationship/position of the drums to the hubs.
>No noticeable effect.

Brad asked,

>I always thought pulsating brakes were caused by the front rotors and
>pads not the rear drums.

Andy guessed,

>Bent wheel? Just a thought....

And Barry opined,