Re: Shakin' Spitfire

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Shakin' Spitfire
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 12:00:49 -0400
At 06:48 AM 6/12/98 -0700, Barry Schwartz wrote:
>>If I had a bent wheel, drum, or hub flange, wouldn't the shakin' always be
>>there, braking or not?
>***********************************
>Not necessarily.  I never noticed it (may have had a slight vibration at
>speed but nothing out of the ordinary) and I was amazed at just how bent
>the flange was.  I saw at least 1/4 inch wobble at the edge of the wheel.
>A quick check if you haven't done it already, is to use the hand brake to
>see if it pulsates when applied at speed.  This will indicate if it is in
>fact the rears-

Hand brake test is positive,  shaking (pulsation) is present only when
applied.

OK, assuming I wanted to change out one or both of the rear hub flanges:
should I risk a used one, or go with a new one (ouch!   over $200 a side).

Or should I try different brake drums first (turned at a different shop)?

Opinions?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA