Re: Crankshaft end play

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft end play
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:43:32 -0400
Doug Mitchell wrote:

> OK, 100 lashes with a wet noodle. My factory shop manual also
> says that the crankshaft end float should be .006 to .014 inches.
> But I still stand by the recollection that the published numbers
> are wrong. I will check with Ted Schumacher on Tuesday, and see
> what the values are supposed to be. (Ted is the one who told me
> that the values were wrong. Now, knowing Ted, he will probably
> recant his statement just to be catch me out.

OK, I just got off the phone with Ted. Here is what he tells
me in a nutshell. The manual is wrong. It should be .004 to
.008 inches. This is based on his experience. Think about it
logically, when the clutch goes in, the crank goes forward.
When the clutch comes out, the crank goes back. If the washer
is only available in standard and 5 over, how are you going to
keep it from falling in the sump? If you have any other
questions, I suggest that you take them up with Ted directly.
BTW, he tells me that any engines he rebuilds, he pins the
thrust washers with brass pins.

--
Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net