Re: Help needed!!

To: The Spit List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Help needed!!
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:04:27 -0500
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> > I honestly don't think that you can say that a
> > Spitfire is stronger or cheaper to maintain than a B.
>
>   The B is cheaper, hands down.
>
>   I have three LBCs and the B is by far the cheapest, because it is
> VERY easy to get almost everything from a junkyard. There were a
> half million of the things made after all, and a lot of them are
> still either running or still in one piece in a junkyard
> somewhere. (read: Not crushed)
>
>   I "rejuvinated" my B from a bucket and only needed to buy one
> part new, a gasket set which I got locally. Everything else was
> junkyarded, and usually with a few donors to choose from. With my
> other cars just about everything requires an order to Moss and a hefty
> Visa bill.

Well, I have found the opposite, down here in Texas and Louisiana.
Maybe it's the weather and lack of salt on the roads...  I have a good
friend with many MGB's (we go w-a-a-a-y back, so this hasn't been just
in the last couple of years) and when we first met I had my first Spit.
We both found it almost impossible to source anything for him from a
junkyard or local auto parts store, and that was before the big three
were so big or well-known, so finding parts anywhere for him was a
losing battle.  On the other hand, finding parts for my Spit was
laughably easy, and usually relatively cheap.  I drove this Spit for
Domino's Pizza, averaging about 100 miles a day, so it wasn't like it
was sitting in a garage.

I have found through the time I have known him, parts for my Spits have
always been cheaper and easier to find than parts for his B's.  It may
be due to the buying habits of people in different areas of the
continent; I don't know.  Maybe more people bought B's in the north and
more got Spits in the south, originally.

Just my 2 cents!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   :)