Poppin' Fresh Spitfire

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Poppin' Fresh Spitfire
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:10:24 -0400
Hi Listers,

My '79 Spit is almost sorted out.   But I have one characteristic I'd still
like some help on.

Whenever I upshift over 3000 RPM, I get a backfire.  Now, my idle speed is
about 1200 RPM [As the car builds up miles the idle has been creeping
higher, and I bring it down a little at a time.]  With its new Crane
ignition, the spark is rock-solid at idle.

Anybody care to steer me towards a possible cause?   More information on
request.

Oh yeah, the carb is the stock Zenith-Stromberg 150 CD and I'm running a
catalyst.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the speed limits?"