Clutch release bearing

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch release bearing
From: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:44:08 -0700
Fellow listers
I have a problem with my 75 spitfire clutch.
Clutch engages when pedal is about 1" from floor and it is
difficult to select reverse without it crashing into gear, ditto
for shifting from third to second.
Last night  I bled the hydraulic system without removing
transmission cover but got no improvement at all.
Tonight I stripped the interior and removed the transmission cover
with thoughts of removing the slave and either rebuilding or replacing
it. On closer inspection it looks like the DPO has replaced the clutch
release bearing bracket pivot pin with a hex socket head capscrew
drilled through the threaded end for a cotter pin to hold it in place.
Does this sound like a correct assumption and if so is it possible to
install the correct pin without removing the transmission i.e. drifting
the
correct pin up from the bottom?
I have both Haynes and Bentley manuals but neither shows what holds
this pin in place as it seems to ride in two bushings. Is it a press fit
in the
lever.
Also could this be the source of my problems or am I still looking at
r&r'ing the slave cylinder.
Thanks in advance
Chris Taylor
75 Spitfire