Re: Clutch release bearing

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch release bearing
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:28:05 +1000

> On closer inspection it looks like the DPO has
> replaced the clutch release bearing bracket pivot pin with a hex
> socket head capscrew drilled through the threaded end for a cotter
> pin to hold it in place. Does this sound like a correct assumption
> and if so is it possible to install the correct pin without removing
> the transmission i.e. drifting the correct pin up from the bottom?

This shouldn't change anything, especially if the bolt is the correct size.
To check just remove the slave from box, and see if you can get the release
bearing plate to move (other than forward and back) due to play at the "pin"
end.

This tye of mod is reasonably common, due to the original pin falling out
(usually because the busshes are worn out).

The most likely causes of the problem are (in ease of checking order):

1. Hydraulic problems. To check just see if the actuation level starts to
move as soon as the pedal is depressed. If the lever stops moving, and the
pedal is still on it's way to the floor, then the problem is with the master
cylinder (unless you can see fluid coming from the slave). If the pedal
stops before the floor (with the actuation lever moving until the pedal
stops) then the slave is running out of travel.

2. Clutch problems. when was the clutch last replaced?

I would check that you have no lost movement, then grit your teeth and pull
the gearbox. Mind you, your already part of the way there with the inerior
out.

Best of luck,

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)