Re: Which gearbox is which? was Re: Spit Shift Kit Praise

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Which gearbox is which? was Re: Spit Shift Kit Praise
From: GatesDavid <GatesDavid@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 12:48:52 EST

 >> I have a '73 Spit that I have had for only about 6 months.  This sounds
like
 >> it would really help my gearbox...discussion of a three-rail gearbox.  How
> > can I tell what type of gearbox I have?

 >Easiest way to tell is to determine where reverse is. If it is (ideally,
 >anyway) push down, then over to the left and up, it's the three-rail
 >gearbox. Your '73 would have had one originally, as they were present
 >through the '74 model year. The later single-rail gearbox has reverse
 >over to the right.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  It turns out that I have the three-rail
gearbox as you all thought I would.  It is not, however, original.  I took the
tunnel cover off to inspect it and it has "'73 spitfire" hand written on it in
yellow.  Classic junkyard identification.  This inspection actually gained me
a lot more than just a good ID.  While I had the cover off I noticed that the
top of the gearbox is leaking from the gasket at the top pretty bad.  Upon
checking the level it was VERY low if not empty.  I'm all topped up now.  This
simple shift kit discussion probably saved my whole gearbox.

Thanks again.
Dave Gates
'73 Spit, top down in Hawaii all year 'round.