Re: [Shop-talk] Air compressor issue

To: Mike Rambour <lists@dinospider.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air compressor issue
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:38:27 -0400
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000762fc806003c1505

I wonder if the starting (pressure) switch is sticking as it heats up.
This is based on the fact that it works cold, but has to drop lower and
lower as it warms up to restart.

I would try using it as normal, and once the restart is delayed (maybe tank
is at 30 or 40 psi) rap the pressure switch with the handle of a
substantial screwdriver.

-- Jeff

On Tue, Jul 11, 2023, 16:31 Mike Rambour <lists@dinospider.com> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> Having a problem with my 5hp Champion Advantage compressor.  I called
> TPTools where I purchased it in 2001 and they were useless, they want to
> send out a service rep to fix it ($$$).
>
> The issue its having is first 2 or 3 cycles of the day when its cold, it
> cycles normally, comes on at around 120-125PSI and shuts off at 175PSI,
> after those 2 or 3 cycles it only comes back on at around 15PSI or even
> lower and it does this all day until next day.  I only work in the
> garage on weekends but I am in the bead blasting stage of my restoration
> so using the compressor heavily those 2 days a week.
>
>   They said turn it off and drain all the air, then cycle it back on and
> listen for the "Hiss" (their word) when the compressor shuts off and
> listen for the hiss and keep doing that until the compressor does not
> cycle anymore, did I hear the hiss or not, did the motor hum when trying
> to restart ?   If that is the case the unloader valve is bad.  I do
> normally hear the hiss, I don't pay attention EVERY time though and the
> motor does not hum.
>
>   Isn't it just a pressure valve ? this thing is over 20 years old and
> first time giving me issues.  But they want to send out a tech to
> diagnose and fix the issue meaning having to take a day off work and
> spend $$$ when it should be simple. I do agree with the guy that I don't
> want to throw money at the problem and swap random parts but I don't
> need a tech, just how to diag which part is the issue.   I am going to
> be blasting a lot over the weekend.
>
>      mike
>
> --
> As he stared at her ample bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Skinners Union
> carburetors in his vintage Singer, highly functional yet pleasingly formed,
> perched prominently on top of the intake manifold, aching for experienced
> hands, the small knurled caps of the oil dampeners begging to be inspected
> and adjusted as described in chapter seven of the Singer shop manual.

--000000000000762fc806003c1505

 it heats up.=C2=A0 This is based on the fact that it works cold, but has t=
o drop lower and lower as it warms up to restart.=C2=A0=C2=A0<div dir=3D"au=
e restart is delayed (maybe tank is at 30 or 40 psi) rap the pressure switc=
div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Jul 11, 2023, 16:31 Mike Rambo=
ur &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lists@dinospider.com";>lists@dinospider.com</a>&gt;=
 wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8=
ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">=C2=A0=C2=A0Hi,<br>
Having a problem with my 5hp Champion Advantage compressor.=C2=A0 I called =
TPTools where I purchased it in 2001 and they were useless, they want to <b=
r>
send out a service rep to fix it ($$$).<br>
The issue its having is first 2 or 3 cycles of the day when its cold, it <b=
r>
cycles normally, comes on at around 120-125PSI and shuts off at 175PSI, <br=

after those 2 or 3 cycles it only comes back on at around 15PSI or even <br=

lower and it does this all day until next day.=C2=A0 I only work in the <br=

garage on weekends but I am in the bead blasting stage of my restoration <b=
r>
so using the compressor heavily those 2 days a week.<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0They said turn it off and drain all the air, then cycle it back=
 on and <br>
listen for the &quot;Hiss&quot; (their word) when the compressor shuts off =
and <br>
listen for the hiss and keep doing that until the compressor does not <br>
cycle anymore, did I hear the hiss or not, did the motor hum when trying <b=
r>
to restart ?=C2=A0=C2=A0 If that is the case the unloader valve is bad.=C2=
=A0 I do <br>
normally hear the hiss, I don&#39;t pay attention EVERY time though and the=
motor does not hum.<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0Isn&#39;t it just a pressure valve ? this thing is over 20 year=
s old and <br>
first time giving me issues.=C2=A0 But they want to send out a tech to <br>
diagnose and fix the issue meaning having to take a day off work and <br>
spend $$$ when it should be simple. I do agree with the guy that I don&#39;=
t <br>
want to throw money at the problem and swap random parts but I don&#39;t <b=
r>
need a tech, just how to diag which part is the issue.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I am goi=
ng to <br>
be blasting a lot over the weekend.<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 mike<br>
-- <br>
As he stared at her ample bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Skinners Union<b=
r>
carburetors in his vintage Singer, highly functional yet pleasingly formed,=
perched prominently on top of the intake manifold, aching for experienced<b=
r>
hands, the small knurled caps of the oil dampeners begging to be inspected<=
br>
and adjusted as described in chapter seven of the Singer shop manual.<br>
rrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</=