[Shop-talk] Air compressor issue

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air compressor issue
From: Mike Rambour <lists@dinospider.com> please include it with any abuse report dPaThnNYzml5siZ2JvtQJQ2r+ub3FaymqPqKPofIZZ+t+TUMBtbdB3B1VW1XxkV/hJENVoDynPSdytsps5Tq+gwqrs5TtkvUkss=
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:38:28 -0700
  Hi,

Having a problem with my 5hp Champion Advantage compressor.  I called
TPTools where I purchased it in 2001 and they were useless, they want to
send out a service rep to fix it ($$$).

The issue its having is first 2 or 3 cycles of the day when its cold, it
cycles normally, comes on at around 120-125PSI and shuts off at 175PSI,
after those 2 or 3 cycles it only comes back on at around 15PSI or even
lower and it does this all day until next day.  I only work in the
garage on weekends but I am in the bead blasting stage of my restoration
so using the compressor heavily those 2 days a week.

  They said turn it off and drain all the air, then cycle it back on and
listen for the "Hiss" (their word) when the compressor shuts off and
listen for the hiss and keep doing that until the compressor does not
cycle anymore, did I hear the hiss or not, did the motor hum when trying
to restart ?   If that is the case the unloader valve is bad.  I do
normally hear the hiss, I don't pay attention EVERY time though and the
motor does not hum.

  Isn't it just a pressure valve ? this thing is over 20 years old and
first time giving me issues.  But they want to send out a tech to
diagnose and fix the issue meaning having to take a day off work and
spend $$$ when it should be simple. I do agree with the guy that I don't
want to throw money at the problem and swap random parts but I don't
need a tech, just how to diag which part is the issue.   I am going to
be blasting a lot over the weekend.

     mike

--
As he stared at her ample bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Skinners Union
carburetors in his vintage Singer, highly functional yet pleasingly formed,