Re: [Shop-talk] Video editing help

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Video editing help
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 14:37:36 -0600

--000000000000c877cc05ee010877

This video just popped up on YouTube. I haven't tested it myself, but
Cristina's YouTube channel is one of my favorites. I initially found it
looking for Starlink information. I'm definitely going to check it out for
my own use.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMYOjMNKhZg)

On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 10:06 PM Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> These days I do most of my heavy video editing in DeVinci Resolve which is
> WAY overkill for what it sounds like you want to do. For your situation I
> really like Topaz Labs Video Enhance AI a lot, if your computer has the
> power to run it. Right now it's on sale for $160. Not only can you do cuts
> editing, you can also use the AI (artificial intelligence) features to
> clean up and enhance the video quality. And It's easy to trim clips to the
> individual frame level. Topaz Labs has a bunch of excellent. I run a mix of
> Macs and DIY PC, doing most of the Topaz Labs stuff on a fairly new Ryzen 7
> build with an older nVidia (soon to be replaced) graphics card because
> Topaz optimized the app for nVidia GPUs.
>
> You can D/L free trial versions of any of TLs apps.
>
> HTH,
> Ron
>
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 9:23 PM Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> With a Mac mini in my shop, I've been using iMovie to edit videos,
>> largely church services for YouTube, but personal stuff too.
>>
>> You can also use the GoPro Quik app to do video editing, and that's both
>> Windows and Mac.
>>
>> If you're making these videos available for remote viewers, you should
>> look at hosting them somewhere. You may be able to use something like
>> YouTube if there aren't any copyright issues. I don't know if YouTube would
>> treat them differently if they were unlisted (and you are sending out the
>> link). There are also Rumble, Vimeo, and if use the right version of Office
>> 365, you may be able to use their Stream platform.
>>
>> -Peter
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM Neil Sherry <neiljsherry@talktalk.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I use the Windows Photo app - will open the movie and then allow you to
>>> whiz through and find where you want to trim and save as a new file.
>>>
>>> Neil
>>> On 20/11/2022 12:02, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>>>
>>> I know this isn't 100% shop talk related, but stick with me.
>>>
>>> I am an instructor in the Army and I often have to use clips from movies
>>> and other video training aids.
>>>
>>> Problem is, many of these 2 or 3 minute clips are embedding in 1 or 2
>>> hour videos.  Meaning I spend lots of time finding the actually beginning
>>> of a clip and such.
>>>
>>> Also, now that we are doing more virtual training, I would love to be
>>> able to send out the videos so students can watch them locally, but I can't
>>> send 1 gig files.
>>>
>>> I am looking for a video editor that can 'crop' videos files.  These are
>>> often compressed files (.mp4) so I understand that I may have to have some
>>> 'extra' footage that the beginning, and that is fine.
>>>
>>> But what I see is often I have to wait for the entire play length to
>>> save the cropped file.
>>>
>>> Is there an editor out that that can quickly and easily crop video

 it myself, but Cristina&#39;s YouTube channel is one of my favorites. I in=
itially found it looking for Starlink information. I&#39;m definitely going=
.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXMYOjMNKhZg" target=3D"_blank">https://www.youtube.c=
v dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 10:06 PM Ronnie =
Day &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ronnie.day@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">ronnie.da=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">I&#39;ve been in the film/video business since =
the=C2=A0mid &#39;80s when we were still literally shooting cutting dual sy=
stem film then editing mixing the picture and sound using mixing stages. Di=
d my first digital sound edit/mix while I was working for=C2=A0the Navy in =
DC and put my first non-linear=C2=A0editing setup together in around=C2=A0&=
#39;97. I shudder a bit to think=C2=A0what=C2=A0I spent on that rig!<div><b=
r></div><div>These days I do most of my heavy video=C2=A0editing in DeVinci=
 Resolve which is WAY overkill for what it sounds like you want to do. For =
your situation I really like Topaz Labs Video Enhance AI a lot, if your=C2=
=A0computer has the power to run it. Right now it&#39;s on sale for $160. N=
ot only=C2=A0can you do cuts editing, you can also use the AI (artificial i=
ntelligence) features to clean up and enhance the video quality. And It&#39=
;s easy to trim clips to the individual frame level. Topaz Labs has a bunch=
 of excellent. I run a mix of Macs and DIY PC, doing most of the Topaz Labs=
 stuff on a fairly new Ryzen 7 build with an older nVidia (soon to be repla=
ced) graphics card because Topaz optimized the app for nVidia GPUs.</div><d=
uote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 9:23 PM=
 Peter Murray &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:peterwmurray@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blan=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,20=
4,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">With=C2=A0a Mac mini in my shop, =
I&#39;ve been using iMovie to edit videos, largely church services for YouT=
Quik app to do video editing, and that&#39;s both Windows and Mac.</div><di=
wers, you should look at hosting them somewhere. You may be able to use som=
ething like YouTube if there aren&#39;t any copyright issues. I don&#39;t k=
now if YouTube would treat them differently if they were unlisted (and you =
are sending out the link). There are also Rumble, Vimeo, and if use the rig=
ht version of Office 365, you may be able to use their Stream platform.</di=
 dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM Neil Sher=
ry &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:neiljsherry@talktalk.net"; target=3D"_blank">neiljs=
" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);=
padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
      you to whiz through and find where you want to trim and save as a
      new file.</p>
=3D"_blank">eric@megageek.com</a>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
talk
        related,
        but stick with me.</font>
        and I
        often have to use clips from movies and other video training
        aids.</font>
        minute
        clips are embedding in 1 or 2 hour videos.=C2=A0 Meaning I spend lo=
ts
        of
        time finding the actually beginning of a clip and such.</font>
        virtual
        training, I would love to be able to send out the videos so
        students can
        watch them locally, but I can&#39;t send 1 gig files.</font>
        that
        can &#39;crop&#39; videos files.=C2=A0 These are often compressed f=
iles
        (.mp4)
        so I understand that I may have to have some &#39;extra&#39; footag=
        that the beginning,
        and that is fine.</font>
        wait
        for the entire play length to save the cropped file. =C2=A0</font>
        can
        quickly and easily crop video files?=C2=A0 Bonus if it&#39;s free.<=
/font>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

ox.team.net</a>