Re: [Shop-talk] Video editing help

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Video editing help
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 22:06:49 -0600

--0000000000007b377f05edf331b4

I've been in the film/video business since the mid '80s when we were still
literally shooting cutting dual system film then editing mixing the picture
and sound using mixing stages. Did my first digital sound edit/mix while I
was working for the Navy in DC and put my first non-linear editing setup
together in around '97. I shudder a bit to think what I spent on that rig!

These days I do most of my heavy video editing in DeVinci Resolve which is
WAY overkill for what it sounds like you want to do. For your situation I
really like Topaz Labs Video Enhance AI a lot, if your computer has the
power to run it. Right now it's on sale for $160. Not only can you do cuts
editing, you can also use the AI (artificial intelligence) features to
clean up and enhance the video quality. And It's easy to trim clips to the
individual frame level. Topaz Labs has a bunch of excellent. I run a mix of
Macs and DIY PC, doing most of the Topaz Labs stuff on a fairly new Ryzen 7
build with an older nVidia (soon to be replaced) graphics card because
Topaz optimized the app for nVidia GPUs.

You can D/L free trial versions of any of TLs apps.

HTH,
Ron

On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 9:23 PM Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com> wrote:

> With a Mac mini in my shop, I've been using iMovie to edit videos, largely
> church services for YouTube, but personal stuff too.
>
> You can also use the GoPro Quik app to do video editing, and that's both
> Windows and Mac.
>
> If you're making these videos available for remote viewers, you should
> look at hosting them somewhere. You may be able to use something like
> YouTube if there aren't any copyright issues. I don't know if YouTube would
> treat them differently if they were unlisted (and you are sending out the
> link). There are also Rumble, Vimeo, and if use the right version of Office
> 365, you may be able to use their Stream platform.
>
> -Peter
>
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM Neil Sherry <neiljsherry@talktalk.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I use the Windows Photo app - will open the movie and then allow you to
>> whiz through and find where you want to trim and save as a new file.
>>
>> Neil
>> On 20/11/2022 12:02, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>>
>> I know this isn't 100% shop talk related, but stick with me.
>>
>> I am an instructor in the Army and I often have to use clips from movies
>> and other video training aids.
>>
>> Problem is, many of these 2 or 3 minute clips are embedding in 1 or 2
>> hour videos.  Meaning I spend lots of time finding the actually beginning
>> of a clip and such.
>>
>> Also, now that we are doing more virtual training, I would love to be
>> able to send out the videos so students can watch them locally, but I can't
>> send 1 gig files.
>>
>> I am looking for a video editor that can 'crop' videos files.  These are
>> often compressed files (.mp4) so I understand that I may have to have some
>> 'extra' footage that the beginning, and that is fine.
>>
>> But what I see is often I have to wait for the entire play length to save
>> the cropped file.
>>
>> Is there an editor out that that can quickly and easily crop video
>> files?  Bonus if it's free.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Moose

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/ronnie.day@gmail.com

--0000000000007b377f05edf331b4

d &#39;80s when we were still literally shooting cutting dual system film t=
hen editing mixing the picture and sound using mixing stages. Did my first =
digital sound edit/mix while I was working for=C2=A0the Navy in DC and put =
my first non-linear=C2=A0editing setup together in around=C2=A0&#39;97. I s=
v>These days I do most of my heavy video=C2=A0editing in DeVinci Resolve wh=
ich is WAY overkill for what it sounds like you want to do. For your situat=
ion I really like Topaz Labs Video Enhance AI a lot, if your=C2=A0computer =
has the power to run it. Right now it&#39;s on sale for $160. Not only=C2=
=A0can you do cuts editing, you can also use the AI (artificial intelligenc=
e) features to clean up and enhance the video quality. And It&#39;s easy to=
 trim clips to the individual frame level. Topaz Labs has a bunch of excell=
ent. I run a mix of Macs and DIY PC, doing most of the Topaz Labs stuff on =
a fairly new Ryzen 7 build with an older nVidia (soon to be replaced) graph=
 dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 9:23 PM Peter Mur=
ray &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:peterwmurray@gmail.com";>peterwmurray@gmail.com</a=
>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px=
 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><di=
v dir=3D"ltr">With=C2=A0a Mac mini in my shop, I&#39;ve been using iMovie t=
o edit videos, largely church services for YouTube, but personal stuff too.=
re making these videos available for remote viewers, you should look at hos=
ting them somewhere. You may be able to use something like YouTube if there=
 aren&#39;t any copyright issues. I don&#39;t know if YouTube would treat t=
hem differently if they were unlisted (and you are sending out the link). T=
here are also Rumble, Vimeo, and if use the right version of Office 365, yo=
attr">On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM Neil Sherry &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nei=
ljsherry@talktalk.net" target=3D"_blank">neiljsherry@talktalk.net</a>&gt; w=
rote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0p=
x 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
      you to whiz through and find where you want to trim and save as a
      new file.</p>
=3D"_blank">eric@megageek.com</a>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
talk
        related,
        but stick with me.</font>
        and I
        often have to use clips from movies and other video training
        aids.</font>
        minute
        clips are embedding in 1 or 2 hour videos.=C2=A0 Meaning I spend lo=
ts
        of
        time finding the actually beginning of a clip and such.</font>
        virtual
        training, I would love to be able to send out the videos so
        students can
        watch them locally, but I can&#39;t send 1 gig files.</font>
        that
        can &#39;crop&#39; videos files.=C2=A0 These are often compressed f=
iles
        (.mp4)
        so I understand that I may have to have some &#39;extra&#39; footag=
        that the beginning,
        and that is fine.</font>
        wait
        for the entire play length to save the cropped file. =C2=A0</font>
        can
        quickly and easily crop video files?=C2=A0 Bonus if it&#39;s free.<=
/font>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

ox.team.net</a>