Re: [Shop-talk] Torque wrenches

To: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Torque wrenches
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 21:06:40 -0600
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 9:58 AM John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com> wrote:
>But I like the CDI a lot better and if I need another I will probably buy
>another CDI.  I was told that CDI is the company that builds wrenches for
>Snap-On, but I have no way to confirm this.

Snap-on owns CDI.  Most current CDI offerings have an imported ratchet
head, even on the models where the torque tool is US.  Thje snap-on
versions have US made ratchet heads.

I have a 3/8" drive cdi, 10 to 80 ft-lbs, that dates from the mid 80s.
That's pre snap-on acquisition.    I bought it new old stock a couple
years ago.  works great, accurate when tested at purchase.  I could
wish it had a few more teeth on th ratchet, but that's not a huge
deal.

Norbar also makes very nice torque wrenches; many are made in England.

If I were buying torque wrenches today, I'd look at ones with angle
gauges.  Torque plus angle bolts re becoming much more common.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com