Re: [Shop-talk] Torque wrenches

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Torque wrenches
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 11:12:23 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000be54d205ba84f848

Much like you, I bought a really nice Proto 1/2" dial torque wrench when I
was outfitting my shop. While I trust it completely, appreciate the
quality, and generally just like owning it, I also get annoyed every time I
use it for something simple like torquing wheel bolts where I don't really
care if it's off by 10% or where I am working under a car at a strange
angle and can't see the dial. I've been hanging out in a couple friend's
shops. One has a few Snap-On clickers and the other has a couple of the HF
cheapies and they're both handier and plenty "good enough" for my purposes.
So I've been planning to buy a couple of Tekton clickers next time I see
them on-sale at the local Meijer. They're not heirloom quality, but they're
cheap, get the job done for me, and are actually more convenient than what
I have.

I've also tried the digital torque wrenches that vibrate or whatever and I
don't really care for those. The mechanical "click" is great feedback and
where I'm going from here for all my torque-setting needs.

-Paul

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:30 AM Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I need a new torque wrench. The last time I bought one was 25 years ago--a
> Snap-On 1/2" dial model.
>
> I don't expect to ever need to buy another one, and I want to like using
> it/them.
>
> What's the current opinion on type and model? I don't think I want
> beam-type, and I never trusted my clicker 3/8" one, but here's my shot to
> buy my last torque wrench(es, I should probably get 1/4 - 1/2").
>
> Scott

--000000000000be54d205ba84f848

 dial torque wrench when I was outfitting my shop. While I trust it complet=
ely, appreciate the quality, and generally just like owning it, I also get =
annoyed every time I use it for something simple like torquing wheel bolts =
where I don&#39;t really care if it&#39;s off by 10% or where I am working =
under a car at a strange angle and can&#39;t see the dial. I&#39;ve been ha=
nging out in a couple friend&#39;s shops. One has a few Snap-On clickers an=
d the other has a couple of the HF cheapies and they&#39;re both handier an=
d plenty &quot;good enough&quot; for my purposes. So I&#39;ve been planning=
 to buy a couple of Tekton clickers next time I see them on-sale at the loc=
al Meijer. They&#39;re not heirloom quality, but they&#39;re cheap, get the=
 job done for me, and are actually more convenient than what I have.</div><=
rate or whatever and I don&#39;t really care for those. The mechanical &quo=
t;click&quot; is great feedback and where I&#39;m going from here for all m=
=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 =
at 10:30 AM Scott Hall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scott.hall.personal@gmail.com"=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(2=
04,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>I need a new torque wre=
nch. The last time I bought one was 25 years ago--a Snap-On 1/2&quot; dial =
9;s the current opinion on type and model? I don&#39;t think I want=C2=A0 b=
eam-type, and I never trusted my clicker 3/8&quot; one, but here&#39;s my s=
hot to buy my last torque wrench(es, I should probably get 1/4 - 1/2&quot;)=

--000000000000be54d205ba84f848--

--===============5081002882369585965==

--===============5081002882369585965==--