Re: [Shop-talk] air/hydraulic floor jack

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air/hydraulic floor jack
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 19:57:24 -0800

--------------E222F060A886C2AB07BF38B8

I have one of the 5,000lb models (Costco had them on sale for less than
$1K a while back). They work as advertised, but there's one quirk: since
they're parallelogram-shaped, the platform moves forward as they're
lowered. This makes it a bit tricky to place jackstands as the car moves
forward as it's lowered.

Maybe they should call them "QuirkJack?"

On 1/30/2021 7:14 PM, Steven Trovato wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  There should be some sort of
> electric alternative, perhaps using one of the common battery packs
> like Milwaukee.  But as you found, apparently no such thing exists
> yet.  As for the Quickjack, those are definitely clever.  One concern
> is the way they describe the sizing based on the kind of car.  I
> wonder if there is a model that can handle both a small car like a
> Miata and a large SUV.  I am not buying a selection of these things!
> Also, I can currently lift a project car for long term work and then
> jack up another car for an oil change or brake job.  I guess I would
> still need a jack and stands for that scenario. They do look nice,
> though, and they would probably be very useful for most situations.
>
> -Steve T.
>
> At 09:24 PM 1/30/2021, Jim Franklin wrote:
>> This got me thinking, that with the current battery and motor tech,
>> there should be electric assist ones. Pneumatics seem to be fading
>> away. I did find a bunch of crap, mostly for roadside emergencies
>> that wouldn't fit under sports cars. Sadly nothing approaching the
>> version in my head.
>>
>> But you asked for clever:
>>
>> https://www.quickjack.com/ <https://www.quickjack.com/>
>>
>> jim

--------------E222F060A886C2AB07BF38B8

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    I have one of the 5,000lb models (Costco had them on sale for less
    than $1K a while back). They work as advertised, but there's one
    quirk: since they're parallelogram-shaped, the platform moves
    forward as they're lowered. This makes it a bit tricky to place
    jackstands as the car moves forward as it's lowered.<br>
    Maybe they should call them "QuirkJack?"<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:DA.52.14785.42126106@mta1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net">
        charset=windows-1252">
      Jim,<br>
[...]
      situations.  <br>
      -Steve T.<br>
      At 09:24 PM 1/30/2021, Jim Franklin wrote:<br>
        that with
        the current battery and motor tech, there should be electric
        assist ones.
        Pneumatics seem to be fading away. I did find a bunch of crap,
        mostly for
        roadside emergencies that wouldn't fit under sports cars. Sadly
        nothing
        approaching the version in my head.<br>
        But you asked for clever:<br>
moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.quickjack.com/</a><br>