[Shop-talk] Blast cabinet, media

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net> definitions=2020-12-26_09:2020-12-24, 2020-12-26 signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=490 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-2006250000 definitions=main-2012260130
Subject: [Shop-talk] Blast cabinet, media
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 11:05:41 -0800
Iâ??m thinking of using some Christmas money on a bench top blast cabinet.  I
realize the small size will limit what I can blast, but that is about all the
space Iâ??m willing to allocate, and it should handle most of what I would be
looking at blasting.

So a some questions for the list:

1.  For those of you with blast cabinets, do you find yourself using it more
than you expected?  My first project would be cleaning up some suspension parts
(mostly paint removal).  I think enough projects come along that it would be
worth having one, but I would love to be surprised to find additional uses.

2.  What is a good all purpose, reusable media to use?  I would mostly be
removing paint, and some surface rust.

3.  The first parts I would be cleaning have some machined surfaces (threaded
holes, tapers, etc).  How careful do you need to be to protect those areas?
And what if the best way to do that?  One of the parts will be a strut tube,
which includes the stub axle.  Iâ??m thinking that wrapping that area in duct
tape might be a good idea.

Thanks!
-Darrell

--