Re: [Shop-talk] Using RTV gasket maker

To: "nogera@icloud.com" <nogera@icloud.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Using RTV gasket maker
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 12:33:35 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_1912262_1757074853.1608554015840

 Not all RTV sealants are created equal.=C2=A0 Some will tolerate engine oi=
l and others, not so sure.=C2=A0 Check the manufacturer's data sheet (which=
 are typically only available online).=C2=A0 I have not found one that is t=
olerant of gasoline.=C2=A0 If the sealant is not tolerant it will swell up =
and flow globules as you mention.=C2=A0 Frankly, I'm only comfortable using=
 RTV on coolant applications but I have used it to stick my new Silicone va=
lve cover gasket to my valve cover.=C2=A0 I prefer Hylomar for paper gasket=
s.=C2=A0 Perhaps those You-Tubers are getting compensation for product plac=
ement.=C2=A0 (Jus' sayin')

One recommendation I heard is to apply the RTV sparingly but equally, assem=
ble the parts and tighten the fasteners finger-tight.=C2=A0 Wait about half=
 an hour and THEN torque down the fasteners.=C2=A0 This will allow the RTV =
to take a set and not ooze out into the space where it should not go.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20