Re: [Shop-talk] Using RTV gasket maker

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Using RTV gasket maker
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 20:26:53 -0800
Hoo boy ... right up there with 'which tires' and 'which oil.'

For me; depends on the application. On paper gaskets, I like Permatex
'Aviation Form-A-Gasket #3,' as it cures to a glaze, which is easy to
remove, and it's less likely to drop a glob in your oil passageways. I
use blue RTV on valve cover gaskets, though, but I'm careful to use a
thin bead which shouldn't spread wider than the gasket (I glue the
gasket to the cover with 3M Upholstery Adhesive--aka 'yellow snot'). For
metal-to-metal applications, I like Permatex Black Silicone
Sealant/Adhesive (note if it says 'adhesive' it may be harder to
separate parts in the future). I used this to seal the brake ring to
output housing--no gasket required/shouldn't be used--on an overdrive
and no leaks yet. Permatex 'Right Stuff' is a great sealant and a strong
adhesive; it or something similar is used in place of gaskets in modern
cars. It's not meant for easy removal (in fact, it's a bitch).

Timely comment; I just pulled the rear hubs on my BN2 because of leaky
seals, and found some grit on the backside of the seals (no idea how it
got there). I think I'll use the black stuff between the brake backing
plate and the axle bracket--metal-to-metal--to try to prevent that in
the future.

Bob