Re: [Shop-talk] Soil stack venting issue

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Soil stack venting issue
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 21:39:30 -0500
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--------------914CF6D65E26B5BA79904E2D

Glad it seemed to work for you. Growing up, mom would pour a couple pots
of boiling water down the kitchen drain every few weeks.  I can't say it
was 100% effective since I remember several times having to help dad
disassemble the plumbing to clean out the pipes on the driveway.  But I
guess when done regularly it might help prevent large grease deposits
from forming near the sink.

On 12/12/20 5:03 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> I would have bet a case of beer the boiling water wouldn't work,
> because it would be too cool before it reached the grease attached to
> a giant cast iron tee, and also it wouldn't get splashed onto enough
> grease to melt it. However, a few gallons of hot sink water followed
> by a gallon of boiling water, all while plunging furiously, did
> absolutely nothing at first, but then a few hours later there was no
> gurgling from the tub and it's been silent for a few days.
>
> I'll get some of that bacteria/enzyme stuff as preventative maintenance.
>
> The scope sounds like a great idea but the only access I have is from
> the roof and it's about 12 feet from vent to to sink entry point. If
> there's a dry day I'll drop a rock on a string down there and see what
> happens.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> jim
>
>> On Dec 7, 2020, at 8:53 AM, Jimmie Mayfield
>> <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org
>>
>> If it's grease build-up, you might try periodically pouring a gallon
>> or two of boiling water down the kitchen sink.
>>
>> You might consider buying one of those cheap USB endoscopes from
>> Amazon or Ebay.  I bought one for about $15 on Prime Day a couple
>> years ago.  The camera quality is pretty bad but they're pretty
>> long...mine is about 15 feet.  You could snake it down your kitchen
>> drain clean-out and see for yourself what's going on inside your pipes.
>>

>> On 12/7/20 08:25, Jim Franklin wrote:
>>> Maybe some of you have an innovative solution...
>>>
>>> My house has a single cast iron soil stack that does both drain and
>>> vent. When I flush the toilet, it sucks air from the tub drain. The
>>> toilet and tub enter the stack separately, but at the same height,
>>> using an oddly specific T with a 4" toilet and a 2" tub inlet about
>>> 45 degrees apart. The tub does not have its own vent. 2 years ago I
>>> had a plumber snake the vent from the roof, he found "stuff", and it
>>> was fixed. Last week it started again.
>>>
>>> My kitchen sink T's into the stack at knee height, so it's the
>>> highest item on the stack. My thought is, because it's a straight T,
>>> not a sanitary T, stuff from the sink is solidifying inside the T
>>> when the flow hits the back of the T, and eventually forming a cap
>>> of "stuff" just above the T entry, sealing off any venting. I can't
>>> tell if the sink is also being used as the toilet's vent because
>>> there are too many walls in the way to hear what's happening.
>>>
>>> My other thought is that the "stuff" is growing like a mold, and
>>> sealing it off. Does stuff grow in drains?
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on what it might be, and how to prevent it? I rarely
>>> put oils down the drain, and when I do they are cold and mixed with
>>> Dawn to emulsify it. There isn't enough canopy for leaves or
>>> squirrels to get in the roof vent.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> jim
>>>
>>> <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>

>> <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench.org>

--------------914CF6D65E26B5BA79904E2D

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      Growing up, mom would pour a couple pots of boiling water down the
      kitchen drain every few weeks.  I can't say it was 100% effective
      since I remember several times having to help dad disassemble the
      plumbing to clean out the pipes on the driveway.  But I guess when
      done regularly it might help prevent large grease deposits from
      forming near the sink.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:CC411ECA-10CB-48D6-A975-AF762B285E91@groupwbench.org">
        charset=windows-1252">
      I would have bet a case of beer the boiling water wouldn't work,
      because it would be too cool before it reached the grease attached
      to a giant cast iron tee, and also it wouldn't get splashed onto
      enough grease to melt it. However, a few gallons of hot sink water
      followed by a gallon of boiling water, all while plunging
      furiously, did absolutely nothing at first, but then a few hours
      later there was no gurgling from the tub and it's been silent for
      a few days.
        preventative maintenance. </div>
        access I have is from the roof and it's about 12 feet from vent
        to to sink entry point. If there's a dry day I'll drop a rock on
        a string down there and see what happens. </div>
              &lt;<a href="mailto:mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org";
                class=""
moz-do-not-send="true">mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org</a>&gt;
              wrote:</div>
                font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style:
                normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline
                !important;" class="">If it's grease build-up, you might
                try periodically pouring a gallon or two of boiling
                water down the kitchen sink.</span><br
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline
                !important;" class="">You might consider buying one of
                those cheap USB endoscopes from Amazon or Ebay.  I
                bought one for about $15 on Prime Day a couple years
                ago.  The camera quality is pretty bad but they're
                pretty long...mine is about 15 feet.  You could snake it
                down your kitchen drain clean-out and see for yourself
                what's going on inside your pipes.</span><br
[...]
                !important;" class="">On 12/7/20 08:25, Jim Franklin
                wrote:</span><br style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
                font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style:
                normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
                font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps:
                normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
                orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
                text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"
                class="">Maybe some of you have an innovative
                solution...<br class="">
                My house has a single cast iron soil stack that does
                both drain and vent. When I flush the toilet, it sucks
                air from the tub drain. The toilet and tub enter the
                stack separately, but at the same height, using an oddly
                specific T with a 4" toilet and a 2" tub inlet about 45
                degrees apart. The tub does not have its own vent. 2
                years ago I had a plumber snake the vent from the roof,
                he found "stuff", and it was fixed. Last week it started
                again.<br class="">
                My kitchen sink T's into the stack at knee height, so
                it's the highest item on the stack. My thought is,
                because it's a straight T, not a sanitary T, stuff from
                the sink is solidifying inside the T when the flow hits
                the back of the T, and eventually forming a cap of
                "stuff" just above the T entry, sealing off any venting.
                I can't tell if the sink is also being used as the
                toilet's vent because there are too many walls in the
                way to hear what's happening.<br class="">
                My other thought is that the "stuff" is growing like a
                mold, and sealing it off. Does stuff grow in drains?<br
                  class="">
                Any thoughts on what it might be, and how to prevent it?
                I rarely put oils down the drain, and when I do they are
                cold and mixed with Dawn to emulsify it. There isn't
                enough canopy for leaves or squirrels to get in the roof
                vent.<br class="">
                thanks,<br class="">
                jim<br class="">
                _______________________________________________<br
                  class="">
                  moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br
                  class="">
                Donate: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
class="">
                Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br class="">
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
                <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br
class="">
                Unsubscribe/Manage:<span
class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org";
                  class=""
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org</a><br
                  class="">
class="">_______________________________________________</span><br
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
                style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px;
                font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
                font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans:
                auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px;
                text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;
                -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=""
                moz-do-not-send="true">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline
                !important;" class="">Donate:<span
                  class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></span><a
                moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline
                !important;" class="">Suggested annual donation
 $12.96</span><br
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none;" class="">
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline
                !important;" class="">Archive:<span

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><span
                style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent:
                0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
                word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
                text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline
                !important;" class=""><span
                  class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></span><a
                href="http://autox.team.net/archive"; style="font-family:
                Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
                font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal;
                letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align:
                moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br
[...]
                !important;" class="">Unsubscribe/Manage:<span
                  class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></span><a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench.org";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench.org</a></div>

--------------914CF6D65E26B5BA79904E2D--

--===============5101705916528090727==