Re: [Shop-talk] Drilling a hole in aluminum oil pan

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drilling a hole in aluminum oil pan
From: Mark Miller <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 17:16:14 -0700
I just read what I wrote over again when it posted and want to apologize
to the OP as my self deprecation came back to me as sounding insulting.
Not my intention at all and I'm sorry.

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
markmiller@threeboysfarm.com

> From: Mark Miller <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drilling a hole in aluminum oil pan
>
> Personally I try to avoid any possibility of having to call myself an
> idiot after I do something that in retrospect seems questionable
> enough.? But you do you.
>
> That said: do you actually need a 1/2" return line for the oil? Will
> running the line into the existing 3/8" port via a reducer still give
> you sufficient flow? That would be way simpler.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Miller   707-490-5834
> markmiller@threeboysfarm.com
>

>> On 2020-10-03 11:56 a.m., Miq Millman wrote:
>>> Here's what I want to do:
>>>
>>> Drill a 23/32' hole in the side of the oil pan for the (1/2 NPT-AN10
>>> steel braided line that allows the oil from the turbo back into the
>>> block.? I have the NPT tap ready.
>>>
>>> Here are the complications:
>>>
>>> 1) pan is bolted and sealed to the block -- I would rather not remove it
>>> 2) oil pan is aluminum not steel
>>> 3) there is already a threaded hole for 3/8 NPT
>>> 4) engine is newly built long block, with most of the ancillaries still
>>> to be attached, on an engine stand.
>>> 5) there is an additional hole on the opposite side of the pan for an
>>> oil temp sensor
>>>
>>> Here is what I am thinking:
>>>
>>> 1) coat the drill bit in some red grease to collect aluminum shavings
>>> 2) seal off water and vacuum?passages with tape