Re: [Shop-talk] Recommendations on yard sprayer

To: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Recommendations on yard sprayer
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 19:26:52 -0400
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--000000000000c41a1805aa1eadaf

Howdy,

I have a gravel driveway I started spraying.  Similar area to the OP.

I bought a Milwaukee backpack sprayer.  I already have a bunch of Milwaukee
stuff, so that one made sense for me.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Sprayers/2820-21PS

It's awesome.  I would NEVER go back to a pump sprayer.  Don't get me
wrong, I didn't really like paying for it, but every single time I use it
I'm glad that I have it.

Mark

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 6:21 PM Jimmie Mayfield <
mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org> wrote:

> On 7/10/20 14:50, Scott Hall wrote:
> > I have this thing:
> >

> https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/262df14e-86b7-4bdf-8f8f-da9499c09315_2.92f2350fc4e1bca90c0192173c0ef9a5.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff
> >

> > I'm trying to keep weeds at bay--in the driveway and near the garage,
> > and in those rocks in my previous post which sprout grass each spring.
> > My plan was to use that sprayer to hose down the rock garden with a
> > mixture of vinegar and salt and kill the little bastards before they
> > germinated.
> >
> > That sprayer is useless for that--it produces a tiiny, thin spray that
> > is really only useful for individual tiny weeds in cracks in pavement.
> > And even that takes forever.
> >
> > The 'rocked area' is maybe 2000 sq. ft. total, and I want to
> > inundate the area--I pulled them all by hand this year or used a
> > driveway/roofing torch to burn them away but they're already
> re-sprouting.
> >
> > Anybody have a sprayer that can cover some area they recommend?
> >

> I use a couple sprayers depending on what I need to do.  For large
> areas, I have an Ortho "Dial N Spray" hose-end type sprayer like this:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Ortho-Spray-Multi-Use-Hose-End-Sprayer/dp/B0071D0EZK
>
> I use this when spraying the main yard.
>

> I also have this Field King brand manual backpack sprayer:
>

> https://www.amazon.com/Professional-190328-Backpack-Sprayer-Killing/dp/B000AYHKUO
>
> Holds 4-gallons of pre-mixed solution and I strongly recommend these
> over the manual pump sprayer like you tried to use.
>
> Now, I did swap the nozzle for a "TeeJet" style nozzle that makes a
> better fan spray (sorry, I don't remember where I bought them...maybe at
> the local Southern States store).  If you do the same, TeeJet makes
> dozens of agricultural nozzles so I recommend you look up the TeeJet
> charts to pick the one(s) that create the droplet size and spray pattern
> that you want.
>

> For a 2000-sqft area, I'd probably use the hose-end sprayer.  The
> backpack sprayer would work fine but you might need to fill it more than
> once depending on your dilution rate.
>

> (I also have a couple small pump sprayers like you tried to use but
> they're only good for spot spraying.  I wouldn't want to use one for
> more than 100 sqft)...
>

> Jimmie

--000000000000c41a1805aa1eadaf

=C2=A0 Similar area to the OP.<br><br>I bought a Milwaukee backpack sprayer=
.=C2=A0 I already have a bunch of Milwaukee stuff, so that one made sense f=
or me.<br><br><a href=3D"https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Pow=
er-Equipment/Sprayers/2820-21PS">https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Out=
I would NEVER go back to a pump sprayer.=C2=A0 Don&#39;t get me wrong, I di=
dn&#39;t really like paying for it, but every single time I use it I&#39;m =
ir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 6:21 PM Jimmie Mayf=
ield &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mayfield%2Bshoptalk@sackheads.org";>mayfield+shop=
" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);=
padding-left:1ex">On 7/10/20 14:50, Scott Hall wrote:<br>
&gt; I have this thing:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/262df14e-86b7-4bdf-8f8f-da=
9499c09315_2.92f2350fc4e1bca90c0192173c0ef9a5.jpeg?odnWidth=3Dundefined&amp=
;odnHeight=3Dundefined&amp;odnBg=3Dffffff" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_bl=
ank">https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/262df14e-86b7-4bdf-8f8f-da9499c09315_=
2.92f2350fc4e1bca90c0192173c0ef9a5.jpeg?odnWidth=3Dundefined&amp;odnHeight=
=3Dundefined&amp;odnBg=3Dffffff</a> <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m trying to keep weeds at bay--in the driveway and near the gara=
ge, <br>
&gt; and in those rocks in my previous post which sprout grass each spring.=
&gt; My plan was to use that sprayer to hose down the rock garden with a <b=
r>
&gt; mixture of vinegar and salt and kill the little bastards before they <=
br>
&gt; germinated.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; That sprayer is useless for that--it produces a tiiny, thin spray that=
&gt; is really only useful for individual tiny weeds in cracks in pavement.=
&gt; And even that takes forever.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The &#39;rocked area&#39; is maybe 2000 sq. ft. total, and I want to <=
br>
&gt; inundate=C2=A0the area--I pulled them all by hand this year or used a =
&gt; driveway/roofing torch to burn them away but they&#39;re already re-sp=
routing.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Anybody have a sprayer that can cover some area they recommend?<br>
&gt;<br>
I use a couple sprayers depending on what I need to do.=C2=A0 For large <br=

areas, I have an Ortho &quot;Dial N Spray&quot; hose-end type sprayer like =
this:<br>
/B0071D0EZK" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.amazon.com/Or=
tho-Spray-Multi-Use-Hose-End-Sprayer/dp/B0071D0EZK</a><br>
I use this when spraying the main yard.<br>
I also have this Field King brand manual backpack sprayer:<br>
ing/dp/B000AYHKUO" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.amazon.=
com/Professional-190328-Backpack-Sprayer-Killing/dp/B000AYHKUO</a><br>
Holds 4-gallons of pre-mixed solution and I strongly recommend these <br>
over the manual pump sprayer like you tried to use.<br>
Now, I did swap the nozzle for a &quot;TeeJet&quot; style nozzle that makes=
 a <br>
better fan spray (sorry, I don&#39;t remember where I bought them...maybe a=
t <br>
the local Southern States store).=C2=A0 If you do the same, TeeJet makes <b=
r>
dozens of agricultural nozzles so I recommend you look up the TeeJet <br>
charts to pick the one(s) that create the droplet size and spray pattern <b=
r>
that you want.<br>
For a 2000-sqft area, I&#39;d probably use the hose-end sprayer.=C2=A0 The =
backpack sprayer would work fine but you might need to fill it more than <b=
r>
once depending on your dilution rate.<br>
(I also have a couple small pump sprayers like you tried to use but <br>
they&#39;re only good for spot spraying.=C2=A0 I wouldn&#39;t want to use o=
ne for <br>
more than 100 sqft)...<br>
Jimmie<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>